This is my personal homepage with words and documents written and edited by me. Your use of this website, in any and all forms, constitutes an acceptance of these terms and policies. This page is reviewed and revised from time to time.
All content provided is for informational purposes only. The articles and posts on this website are my own and don’t necessarily represent the positions, strategies, or opinions of my employer or its subsidiaries. I make no representations as to the accuracy or completeness of any information found here or by following any links. I will not be liable for any errors or omissions in this information nor for the availability of this information. I will not be liable for any losses, injuries, or damages from the display or use of this information.
First and foremost, I will never share your email address or any other personal information supplied to me to anyone without your direct consent.
As of 2015-05-06 I have not received a request for any information about readers or visitors to this website from any law enforcement agency or officer of the court.
Like many other websites, I retain some log files to help learn about when, from where, and how often traffic flows to this site and to find errors in my website, because I make a lot of errors. Some of the information is somewhat anonymized because I use a content delivery network and web application firewall supplied by Cloudflare (since 2013), the information in these log files include:
- Internet Protocol addresses (IP) (In many cases this will be the address of which CloudFlare node you were handled by)
- Date and time stamp
- Referring and exit pages
- Number of clicks
All of this information is not linked to anything that is personally identifiable and I don’t do it to identify people, I do it to identify which documents and pages are being read, which ones aren’t, and which ones are in the wrong place (404).
Cookies and Web Beacons
If you wish to disable cookies, you may do so through your web browser options. Instructions for doing so can be found on the specific web browsers’ websites.
I may someday make money on this website through affiliate programs. If you click an affiliate link or ad banner and buy the product, you help support this website because I’ll get a percentage of that sale.
Currently I’m an affiliate for Amazon and Google Adsense.
What this means for you:
- I do not and will not recommend a product just because I’m an affiliate.
- I became an affiliate to earn some revenue towards the costs of running and maintaining this website. Where I have direct control over which ads are served on this website I offer only products that are directly related to the topic of this website and products that a reader/subscriber would have a genuine interest in or need of.
- I do not recommend products just for the sake of making money.
- I recommend products because I think they are valuable to my readers and I like them.
- I do not let the compensation I receive influence the content, topics, posts, or opinions expressed on this website. I don’t exactly have a habit of keeping my opinion to myself and that goes for affiliate links when I think I found a document scanner or fountain pen someone on Twitter would enjoy.
- I respect and value my readers too much to write anything other than my own genuine and objective opinions and advice.
Just like this website, my Disclosure Policy is a work in progress. I’m trying to define what I think is important but this is not really a tight ship I’m running here. This is my landing pad for web publishing and I don’t want to mislead people about anything and I also want to be as accurate as I can without having it consume more time than sharing a link to an app on iTunes or posting an article about photography. If you have any questions about any of this I’d appreciate hearing it because it will help me ensure I am doing the right thing.
All original content (e.g. articles, blog posts, rants, raves, and photographs) available on incumbent.org that is attributed to me may be assumed licensed to you under the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.1
My preference for attribution on photographs or content is quite simple:
Alternately you may use this shorter version if you’re into the whole brevity thing:
The code that makes my publishing engine generate pages, do the layout, and user interface elements of the website itself is probabably under a less restrictive license. I don’t know how to make that easier to navigate for you at this time, but I based the current version of this website on the public version of a jekyll site project written by Michael Rose for Mademistakes.com. If you want to do something my license won’t permit, you can consider anything on my site that is covered by his more permissive license to be invalid and I’m not trying to step on his license, I just don’t want people distributing altered versions of my work as their own for any reason. ↩